The WBGO News Team won seven national and four state awards over the weekend!
WBGO won a total of seven awards, including four first place, in PRNDI's (Public Radio News Directors Incorporated) Division "C" category for newsrooms with 3 full-timers or less. The goal of the PRNDI awards is to honor the best in local public radio. This year's annual PRNDI Awards Banquet was held in Florida Saturday night. More than 200 journalists attended the conference in Sunny Isles Beach, Florida.
In addition, WBGO News won four awards from the NJSPJ (New Jersey Society of Professional Journalist) at a ceremony in Newark (Robert Treat Hotel) this past Sunday.
- News/Public Affairs Program WBGO Journal 11-11-2016 - Host/reporter Doug Doyle (President-elect Trump and Portrait of Ray interview), Reporter Ang Santos (NJ Reaction to President-elect Trump victory), Reporter Katie Simon ("Sewing Sisters," part of the Newark Stories series) and NC350 update host Katryna Peart interviews opera singer Kevin Maynor (Five, about the Central Park Five.)
- Breaking News - "Hoboken Terminal Crash" - Anchors/reporter Doug Doyle and Glenn Crespo, reporters Alexandra Hill and Ang Santos
- Spot News - "Civil Rights & Jazz" - Reporter Ang Santos
- Enterprise/Investigative - "Diesel Trucks and Asthma" - Reporter Bob Hennelly
- Newscast - WBGO Update with Doug Doyle - Anchor Doug Doyle, Reporter Phil Gregory
- Commentary - "Racial Bias" - WBGO Journal Commentator Mildred Antenor
- Sports Feature - "Garden State Rollergirls" - Reporter Doug Doyle
- Breaking News - 2nd Place WBGO "Hoboken Terminal Crash" -WBGO News Team
- Enterprise - 2nd Place - "Diesel Trucks and Asthma" - Reporter Bob Hennelly
- Multi-Media Package - 3rd Place - Newark Stories - Reporters Ang Santos, Alexandra Hill, Katie Simon and Steve Williams
- Podcast - 3rd Place - SportsJam with Doug Doyle