As the world’s premiere jazz institution, Jazz at Lincoln Center has a combined mission: advancing awareness of the music, giving it new expression, and raising money to keep it all going.
The organization's annual gala, typically packed with guest stars, serves all these purposes. It's only unfortunate that most of us cannot be there. That is, until now.
United We Swing is the musical best of these galas, featuring the Wynton Marsalis Septet interacting with a diverse roll call of legends, including Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, the Blind Boys of Alabama, Willie Nelson, Audra McDonald, James Taylor and more. In his liner notes, Marsalis says asking these folks to participate is like “being 13 and asking a girl to dance.” The exhilarating results, steeped in the blues, surprised him as I’m sure they will surprise many of you. What a joy to hear seemingly different worlds swinging so mightily together!
1) The Last Time (feat. Blind Boys Of Alabama)
2) It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Lot To Cry (feat. Bob Dylan)
3) I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town (feat Ray Charles)
4) I'm Not Rough (feat. Eric Clapton)
5) Creole Love Call (feat. Audra McDonald)
6) Milk Cow Blues (feat. Willie Nelson)
7) I'm Gonna Find Another You (feat. John Mayer)
8) My baby Don' Tolerate (feat. Lyle Lovett)
9) The Worst Thing ( feat. Natalie Merchant)
10) Please baby Don't (feat. John Legend)
11) Mean Old Man (feat. James Taylor)
12) Are You Gonna Go My Way (feat. Lenny Kravitz)
13) Fool's Paradise (feat. Jimmy Buffett)
14) Empty Bed Blues (feat. Carrie Smith)
15) I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free ( feat. Susan Tedeschi & Derek Trucks)
16) What Have You Done?