Employment and Internships
SPECIAL PROJECTS ASSISTANT
WBGO Jazz88 FM, the country's leading Jazz public broadcaster is hiring a creative Special Projects Assistant who thrives in a fast paced and ever changing environment. Responsibilities will include working with membership on data entry, being a front line liaison with fundraising and events as well as being a valuable asset in donor relations and database management. Must be able to multitask, have a solid knowledge of Microsoft Office and great attention to detail. Customer service skills a must. Must be available to work evenings and weekends. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn the many facets of Public Broadcasting and not for profit Development and be surrounded by some of the most significant Jazz presenters. Please include salary requirements with your resume. No candidates will be considered without a cover letter. WBGO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life. Resumes, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP POSITION
Do you like jazz and the prospect of representing the premier jazz media organization in the country? Can you think of nothing better than to be surrounded by great music and the people who make it?
WBGO recently celebrated 37 years of presenting Jazz, Blues, R&B and award winning news as an affiliate of NPR. We broadcast terrestrially in the NY/NJ and via streaming globally. We produce the most listened to Jazz program on the radio- Jazz Night in America.
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual to join our expanding sales team. This is a position for someone who thinks like an entrepreneur, loves to get out and meet people, and is at home in the arts community- but knows how to close a deal.
Responsibilities include managing and growing existing accounts, soliciting new business through prospecting and cold calling, identifying clients marketing needs and preparing multiplatform proposals and presentation materials for prospective clients. Candidate must be equally comfortable presenting to local venues and major corporations and understand the importance of working collaboratively both with clients and staff.
- Recent media experience is preferred. Development fundraising background is also a plus.
- Interest in community
- Successful applicants must possess exceptional communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Candidates must be self motivated, goal driven, detail oriented and creative, with solid computer skills, specifically Excel.
- A working knowledge of jazz and the related arts.
- Understanding of public radio and the NY/NJ cultural environment.
Applications: Please email resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Full benefits and stimulating work environment.
No phone calls please. Only applications with a resume and cover letter will be considered.
MANAGER, CORPORATE AND FOUNDATION RELATIONS
WBGO is a publicly-supported, cultural institution that champions jazz and presents news as an NPR affiliate to a worldwide audience through radio, other technologies and events. Founded in 1979, WBGO is the premiere jazz broadcaster in the U.S. WBGO is located in Newark, NJ and broadcasts in the New York DMA and via the internet across the nation and around the world.
We are seeking a proactive, entrepreneurial, and enthusiastic, front-line fundraiser to join our expanding development team. The position reports directly to the Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations and works closely with program staff across departments. Candidate must be equally comfortable presenting to foundation staff and corporate executives and understand the importance of working collaboratively both with clients and staff.
- Research, vet, solicit and steward new donors in support of WBGO and its activities.
- Develop creative partnerships and sponsorships with funders and community stakeholders.
- Help set annual goals and assists the Director and in the overall implementation and evaluation of this plan on an ongoing basis.
- Solicit general operating and programmatic funds from private foundations, corporations and government entities to support WBGO.
- Manage and grow existing accounts.
- Provide writing expertise for the development of proposals and any written materials in support of corporate/foundation fundraising initiatives.
- Develop and implement effective strategies to attract funds from corporate, foundation and government sources in support of WBGO.
- Working in tandem with WBGO Travel and Events, and Development, take an active role in various fundraising activities including but not limited to annual gala and membership drives
Requirements and Attributes:
- 2-3 years of experience in relevant field with demonstrated success in grant and proposal writing, development, or media sales required Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in diverse settings
- Exemplary writing and editing skills
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
- Ability to successfully present to audiences ranging from small foundation staff to major corporation executives
- Ability to prepare written media presentations and present them to a diverse audience
- Understanding of the public media landscape
- Ability to represent and inspire confidence in WBGO, externally
- Must be available to work nights and weekends for events and other client and promotional needs
- Affinity and knowledge for the arts is a requisite—a background in jazz and or public broadcasting is a plus.
Applications: Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
No phone calls please.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.